I love making homemade oat bar dog treats because they’re easy, healthy and great for big dogs.
If you have large or giant breed dogs you know that there are not a lot of dog treats out there for them.
It’s frustrating trying to find an affordable dog treat that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg so instead of wasting my hard-earned money, I’ve decided to make at bars for my dogs.
Oat bars for dogs are kind of like a granola bar but with dog-safe ingredients.
You can cut them into any size to accommodate your dog and you can add a variety of different dog-safe fruits.
A few weeks ago I made blueberry oat bars and today I made a similar dog treat but changed the ingredients out just a tad and used apples instead of wild blueberries.
All you need to make these apple oat bar dog treats is an apple, old-fashioned oats, dog-safe peanut butter, flaxseed, honey and Ceylon cinnamon.
Apple Oat Bar Dog Treat Recipe
- 1 apple, diced, washed peeled, cored and seeds removed
- 1 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup of dog-safe peanut butter (make sure it doesn’t contain xylitol)
- 1 tbsp organic honey
- 1/2 tbsp of ground flaxseed (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp of Ceylon cinnamon
- 2 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Add 1 cup of old-fashioned oats, peanut butter, water, flaxseed, cinnamon and 1 tbsp of water to a blender or food processor
- Blend ingredients together
- Transfer blended ingredients to a mixing bowl
- Toss apple into blender and chop
- Add in apple, honey, 1 tbsp of water and the other 1/2 cup of oats.
- Stir until ingredients are blended
- Transfer the mixture to a parchment-lined baking pan ( I used a 9 x 9 pan but you can also use a bread pan)
- Press the mixture down using a spoon or spatula so it creates an even layer in the baking pan
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the edges are golden brown (make sure to check at the 30-minute mark)
- Cool completely
- Cut into bars and serve to your dog
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Be prepared because these dog treats smell so good when they’re baking in the oven!
I used a 9 x 9 square pan and this apple oat bar dog treat recipe made 12 bars for us.
If your apple and oat mixture is too crumby and dry-add slightly more water.
You can make the bars as big or as small as you need for your individual dog.
As always, these homemade apple oat bars for dogs should be fed in moderation and if you have any questions about adding new foods to your dog’s diet, you should always reach out to your veterinarian first.